Lossy cogent p2p experiences?

Benny Lyne Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Sep 8 08:45:54 UTC 2023

Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> writes:

> Oh? What is it then, if it's not spraying successive packets across
> member links?

It sprays the packets more or less randomly across links, and each link
then does individual buffering. It introduces an unnecessary random
delay to each packet, when it could just place them successively on the
next link.

> Ummh, no, it won't.
>
> If it did, it would have been widespread. But it's not.

It seems optimistic to argue that we have reached perfection in
networking.

The Linux TCP stack does not immediately start backing off when it
encounters packet reordering. In the server world, packet-based
round-robin is a fairly common interface bonding strategy, with the
accompanying reordering, and generally it performs great.