JunOS/FRR/Nokia et al BGP critical issue

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Tue Sep 5 13:27:46 UTC 2023

> But there's obviously not been enough thought applied to realize that
> optional transitive attributes must be considered evil by default. They
> can only be used after extremely careful parsing.

> I was hoping we'd moved past that point in the software development
> history.

There have been plenty of nerd debates about the evilness of optional
transitive attributes. Talk to any of the folks from IETF who have worked
on the BGP RFCs.

This isn't a 'software development problem', nor is this current thing some
new, unknown 'vulnerability'.

BGP speakers closing a session with this specific attribute is exactly what
RFC4271 says it's supposed to do. Not closing the session and handling it
differently depending on the problem is doing exactly what RFC7606 says
it's supposed to do. I haven't looked at every vendor in the original post
here, but I don't recall seeing any of them doing something against spec.