XGS-PON & "Dedicated" Service

Karsten Thomann karsten_thomann at linfre.de
Wed Oct 25 05:39:30 UTC 2023

Hi,

It depends on the configuration of the bandwidth how dedicated it is, leaving the shared PON architecture aside.

There are three different types of bandwidth on a PON
Committed: always reserved, can't be used by other customers, like fixed TDM bandwidth
Assured: your bandwidth is still guaranteed, but can be used by others if not needed by your connection
Best-effort: you get what is left by the other two.

You should ask how much of your bandwidth is committed and or assured as it can be a combination of all three in the worst case.
Like 50% of your circuit speed is committed, the next 25% assured and the last 25% best effort.

So the best would be to get an answer about what they are really delivering.

Karsten
⁣ ​