Congestion/latency-aware routing for MPLS?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 14:55:15 UTC 2023

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 7:38 AM Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:

> Auto-bandwidth won't help here if the bandwidth reduction is 'silent' as stated in the first message. A 1G interface , as far as RSVP is concerned, is a 1G interface, even if radio interference across it means it's effectively a 500M link.
>
> Theoretically, you could have some sort of automation in place that dynamically detected available bandwidth over the path, and then re-configure the RSVP configured bandwidth for the interface to reflect that so the next auto-bandwidth calculation would take that into account. However, the efficacy of this would depend on the length of the RF disruption that caused BW reduction. Assuming your detection time was near instant ( which is saying something ) ,you'd still have to have very aggressive auto-BW timers to adjust to it quickly enough, and there are other downsides to doing that.

I have always been curious as to what extent RED is deployed on junOS?
(in for example mpls networks) I had had some pretty bad results with
some mx gear out of my control, a while back, couldn't fix it, slapped
cake on it, grumpily blogged, moved on.

https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/

What kind of latency swings are observable today?

--
Oct 30: https://netdevconf.info/0x17/news/the-maestro-and-the-music-bof.html
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos