transit and peering costs projections

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 23:01:54 UTC 2023

This set of trendlines was very interesting. Unfortunately the data
stops in 2015. Does anyone have more recent data?

https://drpeering.net/white-papers/Internet-Transit-Pricing-Historical-And-Projected.php

I believe a gbit circuit that an ISP can resell still runs at about
$900 - $1.4k (?) in the usa? How about elsewhere?

I am under the impression that many IXPs remain very successful,
states without them suffer, and I also find the concept of doing micro
IXPs at the city level, appealing, and now achievable with cheap gear.
Finer grained cross connects between telco and ISP and IXP would lower
latencies across town quite hugely...

PS I hear ARIN is planning on dropping the price for, and bundling 3
BGP AS numbers at a time, as of the end of this year, also.

--
Oct 30: https://netdevconf.info/0x17/news/the-maestro-and-the-music-bof.html
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos