maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Oct 11 20:52:57 UTC 2023

> On 12 Oct 2023, at 06:51, Delong.com <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 11, 2023, at 12:47, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>>
>> It is no different to deploying PNAT44 in every CPE box in the world to allow you to connect to the global IPv4 internet today.  Virtually no home network on the planet has fully functional IPv4 available to it.  Many businesses networks don’t have fully functional IPv4 networks.  We have already installed transition middle boxes between the public IPv4 internet and your private IPv4 internet.  The are just so ubiquitous that you are unaware of them.  This is just a transition between your IPv4 internet (public or private) and the global IPv6 internet.
>
> 1. I’m one of the few homes that is an exception to that “virtually no home” statement.
> 2. Yes, I’m acutely aware of them, I’ve deployed plenty of them, and regret each and every one.
> 3. The difference is that you can deploy a PNAT44 CPE box without an IPv6 address. You cannot
> deploy a NAPT64 box without an IPv4 address.
>
>> Almost all traffic flows go through a transition box today.
>
> Sad but true. Still not really relevant to the point being made.
>
>> If the router modifies the source or destination addresses or the ports of the packet it is a transition box.  It is the border between two internets.
>
> Absolutely agree… Still not the point…
>
> The point here is that at some point, even with translation, we run out of IPv4 addresses to use for this purpose. What then?

You deliver the Internet over IPv6.  A really large functional Internet exists today if you only have IPv6.  It is only getting bigger.  Lots of (the majority?) of CDNs deliver content over IPv6.  Lots of companies outsource their SMTP to dual stacked service providers so that email still gets through.
After 20 years there is no excuse for ISPs failing to deliver IPv6.  If you have to you, outsource your NAT64, DS-Lite transition service to someone that has IPv4.  I’m surprised that it isn’t common today.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org