U.S. test of national alerts on Oct. 4 at 2:20pm EDT (1820 UTC)

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Oct 6 20:13:55 UTC 2023

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 2:58 PM, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> The Disability Advocacy Community has been extensively involved with
> CMAS/WEA since President Bush signed the WARN Act, passed by a republican
> house and republican senate, in 2006.
>
> The dozens of disability groups helped design the sound and vibration
> cadence (which is different than EAS), and the policies for alerting.
>
> Nation-wide testing (EAS) has been conducted since 2011. And nation-wide
> testing (WEA) since 2014. National tests were conducted almost every
> between 2011 and 2020, suspended during the pandemic.
>
> The national tests are announced at least 60 days in advance by the FCC
> and FEMA. News media have multiple stories. Most state and many local
> goverments also had notifications.
>
> If you haven't been involved with the disability community for a decade,
> and your school office didn't notify special education teachers about the
> news releases and government advance notifications, perhaps that's room for
> improvement with local school communications. Fire drills, tornado drills,
> etc. often involve loud sounds and flashing lights.

Fine! In that case I *demand* that we stop having fires and tornados and
similar. It's super-disruptive to have to go and hide in my basement *every
single time* there is a tornado, or pull over every time a fire engine
comes barreling down the road…. and those sirens!... and the flashy lights!
Wake up people, fire truck and police sirens are *specifically designed* to
disrupt! It's all part of their plan to, erm…. well, something something….

Ok, now that we have reached the absurdum part of reductio ad absurdum can
we get back to network engineering?