U.S. test of national alerts on Oct. 4 at 2:20pm EDT (1820 UTC)

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Oct 4 19:14:07 UTC 2023

On 10/4/23 1:45 PM, Aaron de Bruyn via NANOG wrote:
> I was kinda surprised that none of my NOAA weather radios went off. I
> sorta assumed they'd be tied into the whole "national" alert setup.

That surprises me.

Did the newer alert not get bridged into the same system that NOAA
radios use?

Is this by chance a Specific Area Message Encoding (S.A.M.E.) filtering
/ lack of data issue?

Can anyone corroborate NOAA weather radios not alerting?

> Why interrupt cell phones, AM/FM radio stations, and TV stations, but
> exclude NOAA weather radios?

This seems like a failure to me.

Or there's an official deprecation for the venerable NOAA / S.A.M.E.
radios that I grew up with, which I'm not aware of.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die