U.S. test of national alerts on Oct. 4 at 2:20pm EDT (1820 UTC)

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Oct 4 19:09:37 UTC 2023

On 10/4/23 1:21 PM, Sabri Berisha wrote:
> So, this "worked". Despite me ensuring that my settings for Amber
> Alerts, Emergency Alerts, Public Safety Alerts, and Test Alerts are
> all off, my phone went nuts.

I'm in a similar situation.

> Makes me wonder what I have to do to opt out of this. We all remember
> what happened in Hawaii.

I don't know if today's test is the same thing or not, but I remember in
the last X years where there was a presidential test of the EAS and
there was supposedly no way to disable it short of turning your device off.

My understanding is that -- let's go with -- lesser priority sources can
be silenced, but sufficiently high priority can't be.  If the device is
on, it's going to make noise.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die