ARIN email address (was cogent spamming directly from ARIN records?)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 19:48:11 UTC 2023

On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 12:54 PM <niels=nanog at bakker.net> wrote:

> * morrowc.lists at gmail.com (Christopher Morrow) [Tue 03 Oct 2023, 18:29 CEST]:
> >this sort of thing (provider X scrapes Y and mails Z for sales leads)
> >every ~18 months.
> >the same outrage and conversation happens every time.
> >the same protection mechanisms are noted every time.
> >
> >Is there a reason that: "killfileand move on" is not the answer
> >everytime for this?
> >(why do we need to keep rediscussing it)
>
> It's a vicious circle: provider scrapes operational addresses and
> spams them, providers stop putting useful addresses in public
> databases to avoid spam, everybody who needs to find operational
> contacts in a variety of situations loses in the end.

i agree this is a sad outcome of the internet ecosystem.

> We keep discussing it because we care about keeping the internet
> running. It's similar to why we keep looking for new security holes in
> existing software: we don't stop because inevitably we'll find more so
> it's a lost cause, we keep looking because inevitably we'll find more
> so the product becomes more secure.

those are a bit of a false equivalence... but... ok.
I think: "Oh look, more spam, delete"
is basically how this sort of problem (email from randos trying to
sell me ED pills or 10Gs) should be treated.
I don't know that it's helpful to keep re-litigating that end state :(

I'm sure telling dave shaeffer: "Hey, your sales droids are being
rude" is going to end as well as sending him ED pill emails.