maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

Delong.com owen at delong.com
Mon Oct 2 23:05:25 UTC 2023

> On Oct 2, 2023, at 12:19, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
>

> On 10/2/23 20:44, Tim Franklin wrote:
>
>> Had NOT considered the looping - that's what you get for writing in public without thinking it all the way through *blush*.
>>
>> Thanks for poking holes appropriately,
>>

> Like I said, it's going to be a messy experiment - for probably a decade, at least.

That’s only (possibly) true _IF_ the compression being done is lossy compression. There are several FIB compression techniques available that don’t involve this kind of discarding data (think data deduplication vs. data removal).

> Many lessons will be learned, but ultimately, one would be naive to think this black box will just work.

Agreed that if the vendors start implementing lossy compression, there should be a switch to turn it off or at least reduce its aggressiveness back to lossless compression. However, I have no reason to think that lossless compression wouldn’t “just work”.

> All I want is a "set routing-options fib-compression disable" present for Christmas.

Best of luck with that. Probably won’t get it unless/until a rev or two after they break something with it.

Owen