maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Mon Oct 2 13:51:51 UTC 2023

> Then you could have knobs for what other routes you discard when you run
> out of space.  Receiving a covering /16?  Maybe you can drop the /24s, even
> if they have a different next hop - routing will be sub-optimal, but it
> will work.   (I know, previous discussions around traffic engineering and
> whether the originating network must / does do that in practice...)

What you are describing is exactly what the /24 convention is doing
already, just with different mask lengths.

By and large, RIB/FIB size can be effectively managed today by thoughtful
use of policies. If a point is reached that doesn't work anymore, it's
_probably_ time to re-evaluate the hardware or the design.