CPE/NID options

Tom Samplonius tom at samplonius.org
Mon Nov 27 22:58:16 UTC 2023

  Of course.  Dying gasp is supported on most switches that are typically classified as NIDs.

  For example, Cisco:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst1000/software/releases/15_2_7_e/configuration_guides/sys_mgmt/b_1527e_sys_mgmt_c1000_cg/m_sm_configuring_dying_gasp.pdf
m_sm_configuring_dying_gasp
PDF Document · 1.1 MB

  Dying gasp is just a Ethernet OAM frame broadcast on (usually) all ports just before loss of power.  If anything, Ethernet had this first, and ONTs just included it into their standards.

Tom