Outside plant - prewire customer demarc preference

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Fri Nov 24 05:56:47 UTC 2023

On 11/22/23 12:35, Sean Donelan wrote:

> For *only* $1,000, the builder is willing to pre-install a smurf tube
> from the demarc to the central distribution point.  But such a deal
> for 5G....

Yeah that's ridiculous.  Running such a thing while the walls are still
open is a piece of cake, and the material is maybe $50-100 depending on
distance.

> Since most fiber installs seem to use pre-connectorized cable, without
> affecting building structure integrity (i.e. 2-inch is too big
> according to builder), how small is too small?  Trade size 1/2-inch,
> 3/4-inch, 1-inch?
>
> Does the FTTH industry have any published standards?

At least my experience has been that, where pre-connectorized drop
cables are used, they're only pre-termed on the telco side (often, but
by no means always in a hardened connector).  The customer side is
either unterminated or uses a small ferrule with a snap-on housing
precisely so that it can be fished through small holes in walls/framing
and small or crowded conduits.

In practice, 1/2" trade size smurf tube is big enough if it's not too
long and bendy especially if they're willing to get one with a
pull-string already in it (and the guy before you is nice enough to pull
another).  If it's a long or bendy drop or you want a little extra piece
of mind, 3/4" is readily available not too expensive.  1" starts to get
a bit expensive and is usually unnecessary.

I personally connectorize both sides in the field.  Having the ability
to do it is invaluable for repairs, and it's not that much harder to do
two sides than one especially if you're already fishing wires and such.
If you're using hardened connectors, the situation is different since
they're not commonly available for field install, though it is a thing
you can get.

I'm not aware of any published standards focusing on FTTx in North
America.  All the standards I know of are datacenter/mid-size business
oriented and are going to call for ridiculous (in FTTx) things like 2"+
rigid conduit on the assumption it'll have at least a 48F loose-tube in
it and probably more than one.

I would imagine some of the national ogre telcos who are still doing
FTTx deployments will have a pre-build guide for at least MDUs that
might be useful, though around here they often just show up when the
first person orders service and treat the building as "existing" even if
it was just built last week.  I'm guessing they have so many existing
buildings to deal with at least right now that this isn't a huge deal
for them and may even be easier than having two classes of MDU installs
(existing and pre-wire). AT&T and Centurylink/Lumen are the most likely
to have them IMO, but checking Frontier/Verizon (do they still have ANY
wireline territory?) may be useful, too, especially since they were the
earliest ones to do it.

--
Brandon Martin