CPE/NID options

Ross Tajvar ross at tajvar.io
Thu Nov 23 04:41:41 UTC 2023

I'm evaluating CPEs for one of my clients, a regional ISP. Currently, we're
terminating the customer's service (L3) on our upstream equipment and
extending it over our own fiber to the customer's premise, where it lands
in a Juniper EX2200 or EX2300.

At a previous job, I used Accedian's ANTs on the customer prem side. I like
the ANT because it has a small footprint with only 2 ports, it's passively
cooled, it's very simple to operate, it's controlled centrally, etc.
Unfortunately, when I reached out to Accedian, they insisted that the
controller (which is required) started at $30k, which is a non-starter for
us.

I'm not aware of any other products like this. Does anyone have a
recommendation for a simple L2* device to deploy to customer premises? Not
necessarily the exact same thing, but something similarly-featured would be
ideal.

*I'm not sure if the ANT is exactly "layer 2", but I don't know what else
to call it.