Advantages and disadvantages of legacy assets

[email protected] owen at delong.com
Wed Nov 22 20:42:15 UTC 2023

> On Nov 22, 2023, at 12:13, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 11:22 AM owen at Delong.com <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> On Nov 21, 2023, at 01:38, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> Disadvantages: Expensive IRR. No RPKI. No vote in ARIN elections. No
>>> legal clarity regarding the status of your resources.
>>
>> Expensive IRR? ALTDB is free?
>
> I don't know anything about ALTDB. RADB is pricey.

RADB is one of MANY alternatives. ALTDB has been pretty reliable and useful to me and costs $0.

YMMV.

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 11:16 AM owen--- via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>> Apparently, Tata is rejecting routes that have neither RPKI nor an RIR-based IRR record created after 1993.
>
> Are you sure? The way I read it, that policy applies to -customer-
> announced routes, not broad Internet routes received from peers and
> transit.

It’s not entirely clear what Tata’s policy on peer-received routes is, but it’s not at all unlikely that the vast majority of systems are reaching Tata via indirect transit.

> It still seems unwise, but not entirely insane.

My word was obnoxious, but yeah.

Owen