Outside plant - prewire customer demarc preference

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Nov 19 21:54:41 UTC 2023

Of course, every local carrier will be different, what are the current
preferences for pre-wiring a customer demarc (NID, the box that hangs
on the outside of the house, whatever the service provider calls it now)?

1. Nothing - telco/cable will do whatever the heck they want and wreck
the outside of the house anyway

2. Smurf tube from demarc to central distribution point with an interior
power outlet near the demarc

3. ANSI TIA-570 prewire (2 x CAT 6, 2 x RG 6) from demarc to central
distribution point (low-voltage contractors don't use UV-rated cable
for the demarc, and the jacket is trash in a few years)

In the past, I found if I made the pre-wire look nice and easy for the
field technician, they usually made the extra effort to keep their work
clean and tidy.