[External] announcing IPs by scrubbing service to help with DDoS attacks and ROAs

Amir Herzberg amir.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 01:34:01 UTC 2023

Tom, thanks. I'm an academic researcher, no a network operator, sorry for
the confusion, I should have been clearer.

The practice you described indeed shouldn't requite ROA. I didn't even
consider it, probably since I've been working so much on prefix hijacks,
and this prefix would result in increased vulnerability to prefix hijacks.
But if there's only a DDoS attack on the prefix and it's not being hijacked
at the same time, then I think this practice may be fine - which would make
such `emergency ROA' unnecessary.
So that's very very useful feedback, thanks a lot!! Amir
--
Amir Herzberg

Comcast professor of Security Innovations, Computer Science and
Engineering, University of Connecticut
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/home
`Applied Introduction to Cryptography' textbook and lectures:
https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/cybersecurity