.US Harbors Prolific Malicious Link Shortening Service

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Sat Nov 4 18:29:46 UTC 2023

On 04/11/2023 15:54, borg at uu3.net wrote:
> Yeah. I wonder why this cannot be reversed really?
> First domain registration should cost more.. 50 USD maybe? Dunno.
> And then, when you want to extend the domain, price should be
> around 5 times lower?

Most of the new gTLDs that are using this heavy discounting model would
not be commerically viable with normal .COM registration fees.

It is a very cynical business model that relies on a very small
percentage of discounted domain names renewing at full fee (typically
between $10 and $30) so that in addition to the registry covering costs
on each first year registration, it makes more on a renewal for the
second year. The typical renewal rate is 5% or below and it like sieving
for plankton. One of the new gTLDs has a renewal rate for 2022 new
registrations of 1.53%. It is regularly priced at less than $1 per new
registration.

When the heavy discounting business model started being widely used by
struggling new gTLDs, a lot of the abusive registrations shifted from
.COM/NET because the economics of DNS Abuse had changed. The .ORG
registry had been working on cleaning its zone and had stopped heavy
discounting offers. It is now in a much stronger position than either
.COM or .NET in terms of renewals.

Most registrants in a country will either consider their local ccTLD (if
outside the US) as a first choice and then the .COM as a second choice.
Market awareness and familiarity generally play a larger part in driving
registration trends than pricing.

The .US ccTLD is up against the .COM in the US market and the .COM is
the de facto US ccTLD. The .US has had discounting promotions before and
most of the discounted registrations did not renew.

> Those who want to use it for legal activity will chew that little CAPEX.

That brings up another problem. When a registry starts to use a heavy
discounting model with its gTLD, it kills development and usage rates in
the gTLD because the gTLD gets a reputation for being a junk TLD and the
rising level of spam and phishing cause the gTLD to be blocked on
mailservers. It is very difficult for a gTLD to recover from this. One
of the earlier heavy discounting new gTLDs had about 2 million domain
names in its zone at the peak. Five years later, approximately 2K were
still in the zone. A new registry team took over the gTLD and other
Famous Four Media gTLDs in 2018 and they have still not recovered.

A high registration fee will act as a barrier to entry for a TLD and it
will take longer for the TLD to grow. Prospective registrants will often
opt for the cheaper close alternative. (Registrants and tend to be aware
of their local ccTLD, .COM, .NET, .ORG and perhaps the ccTLD for
adjacent countries.) For much of the late 1990s and early 2000s, that
was .COM rather than the ccTLDs. Many ccTLDs were run by university
Computer Science departments that couldn't compete. In the mid 2000s,
the ccTLDs started to improve due to ICANN's failure to deal with
problems in .COM/NET/ORG and abuse of the Add Grace Period.

Even with the DotCOM bubble, the initial fee of $50 per year kept
registration volume relatively low but it was a very different market
compared to today's more global one. The advent of the registrars model
and its competition reduced the registration and renewal fees and helped
grow the market. The problem today is that the growth in .COM has
plateaued.

There is web usage in the .US ccTLD but it is at a lower rate than in
.COM or in European ccTLDs. A lot of .US registrations are brand
protection registrations and redirect to the registrant's primary
website in .COM. It isn't a truckstop or gateway TLD like .EU where
there are more redirects to other TLDs than active websites.

Regards...jmcc

John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com