Do ISP's collect and analyze traffic of users?

Robert Mathews (OSIA) mathews at hawaii.edu
Wed May 17 16:05:20 UTC 2023

On 5/17/23 12:06 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 5/16/23 16:55, Saku Ytti wrote:
>> I can't tell what large is. But I've worked for enterprise ISP and
>> consumer ISPs, and none of the shops I worked for had capability to
>> monetise information they had. And the information they had was
>> increasingly low resolution. Infraprovider are notoriously bad even
>> monetising their infra.
>>
>> [ .... ]
> I tend to agree.
>
> ISP's are, generally, terrible at evolving beyond selling bandwidth.
>
> While there might be some ISP's that are able to monetize the data
> they collect - to whatever degree that monetization is useful - I'd
> hazard that the majority don't do this because it requires a different
> mindset that most ISP's simply don't have.
>
> Mark.

For those who may have a broader interest in the topic of
user/subscriber information collection by ISPs....

Eight Years Holding ISPs to Account in Latin America: A Comparative
Outlook of Victories and Challenges for User Privacy
By Veridiana Alimonti
May 12, 2023
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/05/eight-years-holding-isps-account-latin-america-comparative-outlook-victories-and

All the best