G root servers unreachable via ICMP(v6)

borg at uu3.net borg at uu3.net
Tue May 16 08:37:16 UTC 2023

So, DoD does NOT have capacity to answer those little ICMP echo
request packets? Heh.. Anyway, this is IMO terrible practice.
Many many times I have to deal w/ "products" that do exacly the same
because its so much "secure" to not respond to ping.
Any basic network security researcher know that they are various
more effective methods to poking around endpoint to check if its online.

Cutting PING means you are hurting your basic troubleshooting.
Is that thing even plugged in? Maybe Firewall misconfiguration?

If you are just user internet endpoint not serving anything, that
method might be useful, but you need to drop pretty much anything.