Do ISP's collect and analyze traffic of users?

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Tue May 16 04:46:22 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 6:42 PM Dave Phelps <tippenring at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it's safe to assume they are selling such data.
>

> https://www.techdirt.com/2021/08/25/isps-give-netflow-data-to-third-parties-who-sell-it-without-user-awareness-consent/
>

> https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy3z9a/fbi-bought-netflow-data-team-cymru-contract
>

>From the second article:

"Team Cymru’s products can also include data such as URLs visited, cookies,
and PCAP data"

Really?  From Netflow?

I admit, I'm perhaps a little behind on the latest netflow whiz-bangs,
but I've never seen a netflow record type that included HTTP cookies
or PCAP data before.

Certainly, the products listed on the Team Cymru website don't make any
mention
of including cookies or PCAP data, at least not from what I've been able to
ascertain from digging through their product listing.

Is there some secret "off the menu" product that allows one to purchase a
data feed that includes cookies and PCAP data?

Matt