Routed optical networks

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu May 11 15:40:36 UTC 2023

On 5/11/23 17:26, Jared Mauch wrote:

> And as I’ve seen, they continue to become a bit more divergent.  As someone who has an access network I see where the majority of my bits go, which is to the content folks.  There’s some to the other part, but mostly people want their MTV, but since it’s 2023, it’s not MTV, but people want their TikTok, Metaverse, Game downloads, Streaming service, Email and cloud ramps (enterprise).

100% - and if the trend continues, Telegeography et al will have less
raw growth to report on unless the content folk willingly open their
skirts up to them for a peek - which they won't do.

So yes, predicting stable or negative growth for the public Internet is
not without merit. But that does not translate to what the content folk
are recording.

It might make more sense to start reporting on traffic growth in the
edge, specifically, the peering edge, as content networks continue to
become major on-ramp/off-ramp paths for telco's. But that prediction can
be extrapolated from submarine cable builds, submarine cable upgrades as
well as DWDM vendor sales, with some degree of reliability.

Mark.