Best Linux (or BSD) hosted BGP?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue May 9 13:00:01 UTC 2023

On 5/9/23 14:32, Tom Beecher wrote:

> Except you didn't exactly "call out limitations". You simply said :
>
>     IS-IS in Quagga and FRR are not yet ready for business, is what I
>     would
>     caution.
>

> The reality is that's not true.

And just a few weeks prior, I had given an update about this very issue,
as per attached.

I figured if anyone needed more details (as I'd provided weeks prior),
they'd reach out, like Bryan did.

> - You have a specific environment ( FRR on FreeBSD ) that has an issue
> with IS-IS.
> - You identified the issue in Apr 2020 as related to the size of the
> PSNPs being larger than the default BPF packet buffer size :
> https://seclists.org/nanog/2020/Apr/238
> - Although a solution was provided (
> https://seclists.org/nanog/2020/Apr/240 ) , you made an affirmative
> choice you didn't want to. ( https://seclists.org/nanog/2020/Apr/241 )
>
> You didn't say "I don't want to adjust net.bpf.bufsize because it
> would have negative impacts in my environment, so I need an option in
> FRR to adjust the PSNP size." You said "I don't want to."

Ummh, not sure if you need help reading, but my exact words were:

     "Probably could - but I'd prefer solutions that don't mess with the
base
     system, which ensures long term usability of FRR across future
upgrades."

The implication being that while it might work, it would make
administration of the system onerous and unpredictable, considering we
are dealing with a ton of FreeBSD installations, and not just a single
server.

You, somehow, read my response is me being petulant; which is entirely
your right, of course. But I also won't let you make a false inference
of what my response actually was.

> You are of course perfectly free to not make that change, and
> perfectly free to gripe that FRR development has not done what you
> asked. But it's pretty disingenuous to say that the software isn't
> "ready" strictly because of issues in your use case. That doesn't
> really help anyone.

I made a statement, I was asked to explain, I did. There was historical
context, even though I can't expect you to file all member's postings to
memory.

But if you want to let yourself get into your feelings, I can't help you
there.

Mark.