Aptum refuses to SWIP

richey goldberg richey.goldberg at gmail.com
Fri May 5 12:48:48 UTC 2023

The only real reason I can think that you would want space SWIPed to you is if you are trying to get an allocation of your own and trying to prove you have existing space to renumber out of.

In 25 years of working for ISPs I don’t think I’ve ever worked for one that SWIPed IP space of any size to an end user and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a request.  Mostly because no one wants to put a list of customers out in the public domain.

In the early 2000s I worked for a local provider who had a competing Muni who was using whois and rDNS to target all of the local provider’s customers.   I overheard two of their sales guys while eating at a local restaurant telling each other how they could use that info for leads and which tech was helping them get it.     I went back to the office that afternoon and sanitized our rDNS to put a stop to that.

-richey