Routed optical networks

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri May 5 04:54:59 UTC 2023

On 5/4/23 19:32, Phil Bedard wrote:

> It’s my personal opinion we aren’t to the days yet of where we can
> simply build an all packet network with no photonic switching that
> carries all services, but eventually (random # of years) it gets there
> for many networks.  There are also always going to be high performance
> applications for transponders where pluggable optics aren’t a good fit.

I think every time the IP space gets close to running an all-packet
network, the Transport folk come out with an easier way to do it, that
it's too hard to ignore.

Based on that, I think they will always be one step ahead, with the key
advantage being reliability of capacity over the distance, for the cost.

The farther your fibre has to run, the costlier it gets to do it without
DWDM.

I mean, it's only now that 100G-ZR is becoming a reality for packet
networks, and we are talking thousands of US$ for optics to get us 80km
- 120km distance. Meanwhile, DWDM vendors can get you 800Gbps per
wavelength in the same distance (or 30X that distance) far less cheaply.

I get the appeal of not needing DWDM gear to underlay your packet
network... it's neater and offers fewer points of failure. But unless
you are dealing with very short distances and can ride a reasonable
balance between service features and switching/forwarding capacity in
your router/switch, it's going to be hard to ignore the DWDM gear if you
are trying to be a serious operation, at that scale, over a wide area.

Mark.