Best Linux (or BSD) hosted BGP?

Matt Corallo nanog at as397444.net
Wed May 3 22:51:00 UTC 2023

Lots of replies saying which of BIRD/exabgp/frr/quagga/openbgpd folks prefer, but they're all pretty
good. Honestly for such a project they're all just as great, it comes down mostly to what you're
used to config-wise. Used to big metal router configuration? You might find BIRD foreign. Used to
more functional code stuff? BIRD is pretty great. Others I have less experience with.

As for "something better than cobbling it together", I'd recommend just do that. Install your usual
Linux/BSD distro, install one of the BGP daemons, and run a flow logger (eg pmacctd, which can split
out flowspec which you can consume with whatever you're comfortable with). Setting up everything
short of the actual flowspec inspection should be a half-hour endeavor, maybe three hours if you
have to fight with the VM provider to get BGP filters working right :).

Matt