Routed optical networks

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Tue May 2 16:45:05 UTC 2023

Hello Eve,

Thank you for weighing in; I'm eager for feedback from the field.
This eagerness stems from my work, over the past two years,
to form my understanding of where current- and next-gen metro area networks
are heading.
I need this understanding to help academics in my field of specialization
to better understand energy consumption in metro-area networks.

Your observation about elimination of OTN resonates well
with what I've heard from webinars, and what I've read in studies.
It also matches what I've shown in the graphic I linked to in an earlier
post in this thread (this graphic
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HkXAbd2PIQF_ACOeQYDtpeGxTEaTT1Y7&authuser=etienne.depasquale%40um.edu.mt&usp=drive_fs>
).
However, the larger operators are less inclined to drop OTN as a server
layer network
(layer network used as defined in G.805).

Indeed, part of the scope of the question leading to the results shown,
actually was to try to understand the prevalence of OTN in operators'
current networks.
As regards greenfield, the *NOG results are a bit more nuanced
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hl-UKJNMTguGCH3_g9cTiSDBdQAK4lya/view?usp=sharing>
.
IP/MPLS over Ethernet over DWDM with ROADMs for node bypass gets 34% of the
vote,
up from about 13% of what is currently in their networks.

Cheers,

Etienne