Best Linux (or BSD) hosted BGP?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Tue May 2 12:39:32 UTC 2023

Hi, Bryan

You wrote:
> I know best subjective, but I'm looking at a project to announce some IP space
> that's between uses now and see what's there.  I'm planing to run a flow
> logger and ntop on the VM and see what is coming in if anything.  I'm looking
> at the options for BGP out there, and there's quite a few […]

Others have pointed several great open source BGP daemons which can interface
with Linux routing.  If you just want to ignore BGP for forwarding, and point a default
at one place, you might like to consider ExaBGP.  This is very lightweight - it can do
the BGP announcing of your prefix(es) without syncing routing changes to the Linux
routing table.  There are some simple AS112 instances, for example, delivered with
this model.  https://github.com/Exa-Networks/exabgp

Andy