Routed optical networks

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Tue May 2 07:15:40 UTC 2023

Josh, thank you, your remarks (and those of Matt and Eduard) are helping me
to understand better.

For some context, please look at this graphic
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HkXAbd2PIQF_ACOeQYDtpeGxTEaTT1Y7&authuser=etienne.depasquale%40um.edu.mt&usp=drive_fs>
that shows the results of the question
"Which of the following best describes your current dominant form of
metro-aggregation?"
The left bar chart shows *NOG reponses;
the right bar chart shows responses obtained through market research among
Tier 1 and regional operators.

Operator group respondents overwhelmingly selected "routed optical networks
over Ethernet without ROADMs".
Now, during an interview I held to assess the answers,
the interviewee (an experienced network engineer) questioned the meaning.

I realized that I may have been conditioned by Cisco marketing (I attend a
few webinars), and
I wanted to understand what respondents understood.

Summarizing an answer to your observation, I was conditioned by Cisco
marketing.

Cheers,

Etienne