Northern Virginia has had enough with data centers

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Jun 27 00:35:56 UTC 2023

On 6/24/23 5:28 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> On Jun 23, 2023, at 18:04, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 6/23/23 4:01 PM, Delong.com via NANOG wrote:
>>> The electric grid complaints are about the demand on the grid making the entire region less stable and proposed construction of new high-voltage tower corridors for data centers.
>>> Yeah, I can kind of understand those, but as long as the grid is properly planned, it really shouldn’t have a destabilizing effect. In fact, many datacenter in California do CoGen and end up providing additional grid stability.
>>>
>> Uh, ::cough:: PGE ::cough::
>>
>> I so wanted to schadenfreude so bad with Texas and their shitty grid, but then remembered where I live.
>>
>> Mike
> What’s not to love about a power company that literally qualifies as a recidivist felon?
>
> It is my sincere hope to finish my mortgage and then start putting money towards electrical independence. (Wind, more solar, batteries, and disconnecting Persistent Graft and Extortion).

I'm waiting on a software upgrade for my inverter to hook up a generator
to refill the battery when it gets too low. Not off the grid, but not at
the mercy of PGE's fuckery.

How many datacenters are in Norcal? I imagine that it's a lot, but PGE's
rates are like 2x the rest of the country. At least for residential. I
always got a kick of Google putting a datacenter in the Dalles in Oregon
-- basically mainlining the Columbia river.

Mike