FCC Chair Rosenworcel Proposes to Investigate Impact of Data Caps

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Sat Jun 17 23:38:23 UTC 2023

> You are also assuming their only product is Home Internet. Providing
> Internet to ships at sea, planes in the sky and other more unconventional
> uses will provide a lot more revenue than the home Internet will.

I am not assuming that at all.

There is absolutely a market for sat internet. It's just not a $30B revenue
a year business as Musk has said.

On land , why do wireline providers not build out into rural areas? There
is not enough subscriber density to recover buildout costs in an acceptable
timeframe.  Starlink has the same problem ; the number of possible
subscribers is exceptionally low relative to the buildout cost. There won't
ever be high demand for Starlink in urban areas because it's not needed,
and performance is bad when users are clustered like that.

Again, I agree there is a market for sat internet. It's just never going to
be anywhere close to as large as what is claimed.