FCC Chair Rosenworcel Proposes to Investigate Impact of Data Caps

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sat Jun 17 22:56:20 UTC 2023

Whether or not it makes business sense isn't really what I was talking
about. I was talking about the home dish costing $1k. That sounds like
it could easily be reduced significantly unless there is some underlying
tech reason.

Also: they plan to use Starship when it's available which has 10x more
capacity. If it really is fully reusable as advertised, that is going to
really drive down the launch cost.

But your calculations don't take into account that they are not at
anywhere close to a full constellation: they are only at 4k out of the
40k they need so they literally can't support higher numbers. Their new
generation of satellite is also suppose to be doing some in-orbit
routing or something like that which would I would assume will really
help on the bandwidth front. How much that affects their maximum
subscriber base when they are fully deployed I don't know but it's bound
to be a lot more possible subs than they have now.

I mean, this could be a spectacular flop like Iridium but a lot has
changed in 20 some years not least of which is the cost of launch.

Mike