FCC Chair Rosenworcel Proposes to Investigate Impact of Data Caps

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Sat Jun 17 21:53:29 UTC 2023

> As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm not sure that the current economics are the
> real economics. I'm pretty sure they've been purposefully throttling demand
> because they still don't have the capacity so it would make sense to
> overcharge in the mean time. Is there something inherent in their cpe that
> makes them much more expensive than, say, satellite tv dishes? I can see
> marginally more because of the LEO aspect, but isn't that mainly just
> software? It wouldn't surprise me that the main cost is the truck roll.

- Starlink currently reports around 1.5M subscribers. At $110 a month,
that's $165M in revenue,

- A Falcon 9 launch is billed out at $67M. A Falcon 9 can carry up to 60
Starlink sats. That's ~667 launches to reach the stated goal of 40k sats in
the constellation. So roughly $45B in just launch costs, if you assume the
public launch price. (Because if they are launching their own stuff, they
aren't launching an external paying customer.)
- The reported price per sat is $250k.

Assuming they give themselves a friendly internal discount, the orbital
buildout cost are in the neighborhood of $30B for launches, and $10B for
sats.

- The satellite failure rate is stated to be ~ 3% annually. On a 40K
cluster, that's 1200 a year.

That's about 20 more launches a year, and $300M for replacement sats. Let's
round off and say that's $1B a year there.

 So far, that's a $40B buildout with a $1B annual run rate. And that's just
the orbital costs. We haven't even calculated the manufacturing costs of
the receiver dishes, terrestrial network infra cost , opex from staff ,
R&D, etc .

Numbers kinda speak for themselves here.

I mean, I get that Musk is sort of a cuckoo bird but say what you will he
> does have big ambitions.

Ambition is good. But reality tends to win the day. As does math.