10G CPE w/VXLAN - vendors?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jun 15 05:42:15 UTC 2023

On 6/14/23 22:06, Adam Thompson wrote:

> The redundant links to the customer site that traverse independent
> underlay carriers, and in some cases, equal-cost paths that we want to
> load-balance across, are the hard part.  I’m not going to trust STP
> for that, and we aim for <3sec failover where we do have redundant
> paths.  ERPS can handle the failover, but not the load-balancing.  Any
> L2-over-L3 encapsulation protocol can handle the failover + ECMP
> features, but I need to do it at ~10G (~20G if ECMP) wire speed.

We use MPLS for this. We can have as many as 6 paths coming out of a
single Metro-E node. MPLS will handle it just fine.

Any Layer 2 option won't work the way you want it... they are simply not
built for that level of redundancy or load balancing.

We have not tried to do this with VXLAN, and don't intend to.

Mark.