10G CPE w/VXLAN - vendors?

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Wed Jun 14 18:50:52 UTC 2023

Hello, all.
I’m having difficulty finding vendors, never mind products, that fit my need.

We have a small but growing number of L2 (bridged) customers that have diverse fiber paths available, and, naturally, want to make use of them.
We have a solution for this: we extend the edge of our EVPN VXLAN fabric right to the customer premise.  The customer-prem device needs 4x10G SFP+ cages (2 redundant paths, plus LAG to customer), and the switches we currently use, Arista 7020Rs, are quite expensive if I’m deploying one one per customer.  (Nice switches, but overkill here – I don’t need 40/100G, and I don’t need 24 SFP+ ports.  And they still take forever to ship.)

We use RFC7438 §6.3 “vlan-aware-bundle” mode, not §6.1 “vlan-based” mode, which limits our choices somewhat.  I might be willing to entertain spinning up a separate VXLAN mesh using RFC7438 §6.1 (“vlan-based”) and static VTEPs if it saves me a lot of pain.

However, I’m having trouble finding small & cheaper 1U (or even desktop/wallmount) devices that have 4 SFP+ cages, and can do VXLAN, in the first place.
Who even makes CPE gear with SFP+ ports?  (Other than Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN / CRS317-1G-16S+RM, which are nice, but our policy requires vendor support contracts, so… no-go.)

Vendors?  Model#s, if you happen to know any?

Reply here or privately, whatever floats your boat – any pointers appreciated!

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[[MERLIN logo]]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
https://www.merlin.mb.ca<https://www.merlin.mb.ca/>
[cid:image002.png at 01D99EC2.B891B0A0]Chat with me on Teams<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/chat/0/[email protected]>