BGP routing ARIN space in APNIC region

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sat Jun 10 04:20:08 UTC 2023

On Fri, Jun 9, 2023 at 6:17 PM Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2023, Matthew Petach wrote:
>

> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > In general, no, there's nothing that prevents you from doing that.
> > Now, from a network reachability perspective, you should also think
> about your own internal network connectivity.
> > If you're using the same ASN in California and Makati, you'll need
> redundant internal network connections between the two countries to ensure
> you don't end up with a
> > partitioned ASN.
> > Remember, California won't accept the advertisements from Makati over
> the external Internet, as AS-PATH loop detection will drop the
> announcements; likewise, Makati won't
> > hear the advertisements of the California IP space.
>
> Every platform I've used has a knob for turning off / relaxing as-path
> loop detection.  Note, for some platforms (at least Juniper), you may also
> have to have your upstream provider "advertise-peer-as", though I suspect
> it's highly unlikely you'd have BGP service from the same upstream in both
> CA and PH...so this won't likely be an issue.

I'd recommend this be treated as a "BGP 201" level exercise, not a "BGP
101" knob to turn.

If you're asking for advice from the NANOG mailing list about how to best
set up your first
"remote" network location, you're in BGP 101 territory, and probably
shouldn't be
disabling as-path loop detection as a general rule.  ^_^;

No knock on you, just that it's probably best not to do that until you're a
lot more
comfortable with the potential gotchas that can result from making changes
to the
default BGP protocol behaviour on your border routers.

Thanks!

Matt