New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Wed Jun 7 22:34:12 UTC 2023

Hi Robert,

If the goal is increased robustness by having addresses present from a
different RIR,
wouldn't it make this whole tempest in a teapot moot if, instead of
*reunubering*, you
simply *added* a second set of IPs, but continued to answer queries on the
original
addresses as well?

Is there any reason at all to unconfigure the original IPs from the servers
after the LACNIC
IP addresses are added to the servers?  I mean, it's perfectly normal for
servers to have
multiple IP addresses on them, we've been doing it for decades, and IPv6
has really hammered
home that it's normal and expected for hosts to have multiple IP addresses
on them, often from
different providers.

Thanks!

Matt