New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Izaac izaac at setec.org
Wed Jun 7 19:13:51 UTC 2023

On Wed, Jun 07, 2023 at 09:30:36AM -0700, William Herrin wrote:
> Data embedded in the binary is hard-coded. That's what hard-coded
> means. If it makes you happier I'll qualify it as a "hard-coded
> default," to differentiate it from settings the operator can't
> override with configuration.

No.  I will not indulge your invention of terms.  "Hard-coded" means you
need to recompile to change it.  This is a default value.  A
configuration option takes precedence.

> It's an instance of https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/344.html

No, it is not in any respect.  The code you grepped out generates a
default configuration hints file when one does not exist.

The CWE you cite specifically refers to default values for things like
cryptographic RNG seeds and salts and TCP sequence number generators and
the like.  Viz something like
https://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571 from 2008.

> A quick search of https://cve.mitre.org/cve/search_cve_list.html shows
> between 600 and 3700 CVEs related to default configurations that are
> either directly insecure or unexpectedly become insecure when some but
> not all of the defaults are changed by the operator. The vast majority
> of these CVEs exhibit, as you say, no flaw in the computational logic.

You literally just gave me a link to the CVE search page, waved your
hand, and said, "See?"  Well, I'll admit to not being as good at
conducting CVE research as you.  So, as an expert on the topic: How many
of these "between 600 and 3700 CVEs" are related to a violating the
baseless expectation of confidentially in a protocol which does not
guarantee confidentiality?  Somewhere between 0 and 2000?

But you know what, go ahead.  Submit the CVE.  Be the hero that you
believe yourself to be.

--