New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Fri Jun 2 04:21:51 UTC 2023

William Herrin wrote:

>> Certainly we would appreciate other opinions about what the right length
>> of a change-over time would be, especially from the operational
>> communities that will be most impacted by this change.

Considering the possibility that, in a long run, remaining
12 sets (4 and 6) of IP addresses will also change, the proper
length should be determined assuming all the 13 sets of
addresses will change (not necessarily at the same time).

> A server generation is about 3 years before it's obsolete and is
> generally replaced. I suggest making the old address operable for two
> generations (6 years) and black-holed for another generation (3 more
> years).

You are assuming managed servers under Moore's law.

But, after Moore, a server generation will be longer.

Moreover, a linux-based black box, vendor of which has
disappeared, may be used for 10 or 20 years without being
managed.

Then, another important period is the period to reserve
the IP addresses once used for root servers. If the
addresses are reused by some bad guys, systems
depending on them can easily be compromised.

For the reservation period, 50 years of reservation
period of ISO3166 country codes seems to be reasonable.

And, if the addresses are reserved, there is no
reason not to keep using the addresses as
alternative addresses of active root name servers.

					Masataka Ohta

PS

First of all, it is a bad idea to change the
addresses of root servers. For political ceremony, it
is enough to transfer address blocks to LACNIC.