New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Wes Hardaker wjhns61 at hardakers.net
Thu Jun 1 22:22:46 UTC 2023

Jan Schaumann via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> writes:

> > USC/ISI is renumbering both its IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for
> > b.root-servers.net on 2023-11-27. Our new IPv4 address will be
> > 170.247.170.2 and our new IPv6 address will be 2801:1b8:10::b.
> > USC/ISI will continue to support root service over our current IPv4 and
> > IPv6 addresses for at least one year (until 2024-11-27) in order to
> > provide a stable transition period while new root hints files are
> > distributed in software and operating system packages.
>
> I know it says "at least", but support for the old
> addresses for only one year seems like a very short
> time in this context.  I hope USC/ISI will be able to
> keep the old addresses functional for much longer.

Greetings Jan,

A few points on this matter:

1. There is some definite disagreement in opinions we've heard at this
point, where we've heard from the other extreme opinion where they
actually wish we wouldn't support the old addresses beyond the TTL at
the time of the changeover (IE, a bit longer than 48 hours).

2. I'll note that we are still serving DNS requests at the addresses that
we switched away from in 2017 [1][2].  At that time we actually only
promised 6 months and we've doubled that time length with our latest
announced change.  But we do need a date after which we can turn off
service to an address block if some reason demands it.

Certainly we would appreciate other opinions about what the right length
of a change-over time would be, especially from the operational
communities that will be most impacted by this change.

[1]: https://b.root-servers.org/news/2017/06/01/new-ipv6.html
[2]: https://b.root-servers.org/news/2017/08/09/new-ipv4.html

--
Wes Hardaker