My first ARIN Experience but probably not the last, unfortunately..

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sun Jul 16 16:34:22 UTC 2023

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 2:09 PM Darin Steffl <darin.steffl at mnwifi.com>
wrote:

> This screams of entitlement. If you can't afford $250 a year for ARIN, you
> probably shouldn't be starting a new business. Sorry

#define SOAPBOX

Darin,

Please remember ARIN covers more than just the relatively prosperous United
States.
There are places like Jamaica, which are also in the ARIN region, where the
average
annual income is $2,337.

Having to put aside 11% of your annual income for ARIN registry fees to
start a business
is a big decision.
I don't think you'd like it if we called you "entitled" for not wanting to
shell out 11% of your
annual income for ARIN fees to start a business.

While NANOG by name does narrow the focus to just "North America", we
should all remember
that even in North America, wealth is not distributed equally.  There are
communities that very
much need the economic development that new businesses can bring, where a
$250/year annual
fee represents a significant headwind.  Rather than pooh-pooh their
concerns, we should instead
strive to see the world through that entrepreneur's eyes, and address their
concerns, rather than
brush them aside.

 Thanks!

Matt