whois server

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Jul 15 03:28:16 UTC 2023

It appears that Matt Corallo <nanog at as397444.net> said:
>But, like they say, modern whois knows where to look, no need to use anything else, I think as long
>as you're not stuck trying to use macOS or something else shipping weird ancient un-updated unix tools.

If you're inclined to roll your own, I keep a set of whois server
pointers at <tld>.whois.services.net so for example
aero.whois.services.net is a CNAME for the whois server for .aero. I
update it daily using a the info in the IANA database and a bunch of
kludges to fill in the gaps.

There's a similar set at <tld>.whois-servers.net which seems to be
less up to date.

R"s,
John

PS: Someday I'll do it for rDNS, too.