IP range for lease

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:58:44 UTC 2023

Dear NANOG-ers,
Hope this email finds you in good health!

Please see my comments below, inline...

Le jeudi 6 juillet 2023, Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> a écrit :

> Karin,
>
> Opinions regarding leasing vary throughout the industry. In my opinion,
> since the shift to provider assigned addresses during the CIDR efforts in
> the mid 1990s, the majority of addresses have been leased in one form or
> another.

Hi Owen,
Thanks for your email, brother.
...do you mean that such activity was supported by
 a policy? or it was just a disruption of a principle
which is fundamental; in order to guarantee that
the common INRs (Internet Number Resources)
are fairly distributed and not easily stockpilled?

> The only thing novel here is the leasing of addresses independent of
> connectivity services.

So! it's a leasing of something not owned? and it
became worse with the idea of Monkey(ing it)-In-
The-middle (MITM)...

What's the difference, please?

Are you trying to change a definition, in order to
convince this community that this sad practice
was started at the very beginning of the INRs  distribution?

What's your understanding of "need-based"?
Why are they stocking INRs without any need to
properly use it?

...imho! the waiting list would be less longer with
those INRs withing the free pools.

> However, once the RIRs and their communities normalized the sale of
> addresses through directed transfer policies, I think this was an

Any RIR's policy you can share, to support your say?

> inevitable next step in the devolution of IPv4 into a monetized asset.

What's the relation between leasing INRs and
transfering it?

Brother, you know that:
* an INR transfer is a one time change in holdership
* where leasing INRs is a proof that there is no
longer any need of the community's resource held.

...imho! the communities chose a good approach
in support to those who maintain Internet services
 and build the Internet infrastructure. It should be
seen as an exceptional rule, not the usual...because
 it's an alternative when need ends.

...the other alternative, consistent with the principle,
 is not the leasing of INRs; but the returning.

> It doesn’t help that the earliest and most prolific adopters of this form
> of leasing have been snowshoe spammers.

It helps to better understand how bad is the thing :'(

...please, do consider the following scenario:

|1. you have a fundamental principle for INRs distribution within the
regional RIR
|2. for each resource holder, the RIR is responsible
to enforce the Policy Manual
|3. a resource holder receives some INRs from a
regional RIR
|4. that resource holder stops to comply to the
principle in "1"
|5. the INRs delegated to that resource holder are
not used according to the community-based Policy
 Manual
|6. in order to justify its use, that resource holder
assign part of the delegated INRs to its clients
|7. the clients are asked to comply the the Policy
Manual; including the fundamental principle in "1"
|8. .

How shall it end?

> However, there are leasing agencies that insist on getting proper
> justification from their customers and have strong anti-abuse policies.

Great! btw! what's their need? who need a MITM
in the process, when it's possible to simply transfer
the resource or simply send it back to the free pool?

> I would strongly encourage you to seek out such an organization to partner
> with if you choose to lease your addresses as there are a number of
> pitfalls you can encounter otherwise.

...risks are either ways! would you recommend
to someone to put its private keys within one
else personal's computer?

Hi Karim,
To summarise, if there is no longer a need, please
do either one of the following three things:

1| send it back to the RIR;
2| change the word *lease* to *transfer* and
announce your willing to transfer the INRs you hold.
3| do not hesitate to discuss your alternatives with
the RIR's Staff. They are paid to support you!

Thanks.

Shalom,
--sb.

--