"Lit" Buildings

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Dec 8 00:09:08 UTC 2023

On Thu, 7 Dec 2023, Mike Hammett wrote:
> For those of you who list your network (usually wireline, but sometimes
> wireless) with third parties, are you supplying just the KMZ or lit
> buildings as well? If lit buildings, are you including residential? How are
> you defining near-net?

In the ancient days, used to ask for the carrier CLLI code of the
commercial building.  If a carrier didn't have a CLLI code for a property,
a good assumption was no "on-net" service.  Landlord approval was more of
an issue than physical location of a specific building.

Other than the FCC Broadband Map, I don't know of any carrier which
attempts to accurately list "passed" residential properties.  Even 9-1-1
MSAG databases aren't accurate.  Broadband providers know their service
areas (old term "franchise area"), but never commit to serve a specific
property.  Even if they served that property in the past.

Service maps from sales people are always optimistic.  Even asking for a
site survey is just an estimate.

The 3rd party network map companies are really "lead generators." List
where ever you want to get sales leads.  There is usually no penalty
for inaccurate data, other than your sales people paying lead commissions
for non-servable leads.

Its about as bad as finding "local" plumbers in online Yellow Page
(generic term) websites.