What are these Google IPs hammering on my DNS server?

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Dec 3 21:45:36 UTC 2023

On Sun, 3 Dec 2023, Michael Hare wrote:
> This is little consolation, but at AS3128, I see the same thing to our downstream at times, claiming to come from both 13335 and 15169 often simultaneously at the tune of 25Kpps , "assuming it's not spoofed", which is pragmatically impossible to prove for me given our indirect relationships with these companies.  When I see these events, I typically also see a wide variety of country codes participating simultaneously.  Again, assuming it's not spoofed.  To me it just looks like effective harassment with 13335/15169 helping out.  I pine for the internet of the 1990s.

Assuming it's really Google and Cloudflare, it is probably not malicious,
just very inept mail admins.

They assume that abuse.net is some sort of DNSBL so they configure their
mail server to query it for every domain in every message they see, even
though the results are useless.  I have never been able to get anyone who
does this to stop.

It's not unlike the multirbl page at valli.org which proves the truism
that any idiot can run a blacklist and many idiots do.  He included the
abuse.net results and despite a warning right next to the results saying
it's not a blacklist, I got a stream of outraged people insisting I was
personally blocking their mail.  So I was finally able to get him to take
it out by returning this custom result:

'Blacklisted.  To remove send $100 to xx at valli.org'

R's,
John