What are these Google IPs hammering on my DNS server?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Dec 3 18:48:11 UTC 2023

At contacts.abuse.net, I have a little stunt DNS server that provides domain contact info, e.g.:

$ host -t txt comcast.net.contacts.abuse.net
comcast.net.contacts.abuse.net descriptive text "abuse at comcast.net"

$ host -t hinfo comcast.net.contacts.abuse.net
comcast.net.contacts.abuse.net host information "lookup" "comcast.net"

Every once in a while someone decides to look up every domain in the
world and DoS'es it until I update my packet filters. This week it's
been this set of IPs that belong to Google. I don't think they're
8.8.8.8. Any idea what they are? Random Google Cloud customers? A
secret DNS mapping project?

 172.253.1.133
 172.253.206.36
 172.253.1.130