sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Sat Dec 2 07:28:43 UTC 2023

On 12/1/23 5:27 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> It would be better to keep the government out of it altogether, but that has little chance of happening.

I agree.  But I do have a question: is there a Best Practices RFC for
setting buffer sizes in the existing corpus?  The Internet community has
been pretty good at setting reasonable standards and recommendations, so
a pointer to a BCP or RFC would go much farther to solve the bufferbloat
problem, as I believe administrators would prefer the "suggestion"
instead of ham-handed regulation.

But that's just me.  I do know there has been academic research on the
subject, but don't recall seeing the results published as a practical
operational RFC.

(And this is very much on-topic for NANOG, as it is about encouraging
our peers to implement effective operation in their networks, and in
their connections with others.)