Deployments of Provider Backbone Bridging (PBB)

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 15:46:35 UTC 2023

Hi Etienne,

Those replies are accurate.  There are still some large PBB deployments since once you deploy technologies it’s hard to change.  However, there haven’t really been new PBB deployments in many years now.  Vendors are also not developing the features to support it any more. I would consider it a dead technology at this point.    There is L2 PBB and flavors of PBB-VPLS and PBB-EVPN, PBB-VPLS was more widely deployed over MPLS than any other “PBB” technology.

Thanks,
Phil