MX204 Virtual Chassis Setup

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Aug 25 15:35:09 UTC 2023

On 8/23/23 17:14, Matt Erculiani wrote:

> Does Fusion not make sense in this case? I've not had a ton of
> experience with it, but it does well to add a crazy port count to an
> otherwise very port limited device.

In small edge PoP's, we attach an Arista 1U switch with tons of 1/10Gbps
ports to an MX204 via 802.1Q. Works a treat. I've never been convinced
by vendor-specific satellite systems :-).

On another note, the potential issue we might run into is pressure on
control plane memory on the MX204 for us that run BGP Add-Paths. You can
always upgrade the RE on an MX240/480/960, but the MX204 is fixed (and
last time I checked, fiddling with Juniper RE memory was generally
frowned upon).

Luckily, the MX10003 ships with 64GB of RAM, since it is now EoL.

The MX304 ships with 128GB of RAM, so anybody running Add-Paths on that
box won't have an issue there.

Mark.